Monday, January 3, 2011

Making It Happen As I Go

OK, so here I am, doing absolutely nothing on a Monday. Usually, by this time of the day I'm counting down the minutes till I can run out the door of my job at a photo lab on the Upper West Side, and make my way back east to my comfy abode in Astoria. That's usually a Monday for me, but not any more. I QUIT MY JOB!!! For a handful of reasons, I decided to ditch the only consistently paying source in my life, for a little dream I like to call 2011 Life Odyssey of Virtue!!!

While I haven't decided whether this was a genius idea or a complete and total disaster in the making, I knew that it was time to grab life by the neck and choke it. I had to make a change. Three years ago I moved to NYC in hopes of becoming a magazine photo extraordinaire. Things were looking up for a while. I did two great photo department internships and one quasi internship at a fashion website start-up, but nothing turned from it. Here I was thinking I had created myself into the total package, only to find out that I was a package without all the content ready to ship. I was crushed for a while and I felt rather depressed about it. I even considered starting my life over somewhere else. But the fat lady hadn't sung yet and I knew I had to get my bum back out there and get a new internship... and I had to get ready to re-gift. So I got out there and landed an awesome new internship at a super big men's magazine.

Now that I have my internship secured I now have to find a job that pays. Here is where a game plan comes into play. I've decided that I can't spend every hour of my free time thinking about this. I've done that before and it made me rather ill. That's why I have decided to dedicate 3 hours a day to searching and applying for jobs. That doesn't count time I spend while I'm around town, passing out resumes.

Now that I have my 3 hours of job searching squared, I now have to figure out what to do with my spare time. So, below I have listed a few ideas for things I could do when I'm not job hunting and working my internship:

1. Join a Knitting Group-I would have to consider aging my personality by at least 20 years to fit in with the other grandmas in the circle, but I think this could be doable.

2. Become a Coffee Shop Laptop Loiterer-I love coffee and tea but my computer is so old that I don't think I could take it off the electro juice long enough to even check my email.

3. Get Fat-I'm not a stress eater but I do eat out of boredom. Anytime I have nothing to do, all I want to do is munch. Unfortunately, if I'm poor, that could be a problem. Food cost money and I'm a picky eater.

4. Go to Movie Screenings-One of the cool things about living in NYC is that they have movie screenings going on all the time. They are FREE and would work great for someone like me with a wide open schedule. Not to mention, I get bragging rights to seeing all types of movies before everyone else.

5. Write a Novel Equivalent to Twilight Magnitude-This wouldn't pay off now but it could later.

6. Create a Photo Essay-I've been wanting to do this for a long time but I'm so indecisive. I can never settle on anything to focus on.

7. Go to Seminars and Workshops-They aren't all free but they are usually cheap. Not to mention you can see some pretty awesome people, that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Who knows, I may even learn something.

8. Work Out...Too Much-I could become a lady body builder person. Which would be hilarious If I could afford a gym membership. So, I guess I'll just be sticking to my Yoga DVDs.

9. Become a Justin Beiber Fan-Luckily, this has an expiration date. He has to be hitting puberty in the next two weeks, so I only have to dedicate every waking hour of the next two weeks to a kid with swishy hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment