Monday, August 8, 2011

8 Reasons True Blood is Addictive


Popular culture is fascinating. The way one little spark can ignite a flame of something as small as your curiosity, is something worth thinking about. I tend to push against popular culture at times. In some ways it's like being brainwashed by a cult. On the outside it looks super crazy, but on the inside you are having a fab time. That's if your cult allows fun. It all depends, I suppose.

Either way, I resisted True Blood. Not in the aggressive way that I have other things, but I did ignore it for some time. I really didn't want to get sucked into it, but it seemed that everyone was drinking the True Blood cult Kool-Aid, and I couldn't help but to find myself curious as to what all the hype was about.

That's when it started.

The first 3 or 4 episodes was by far the most ridiculous 4 hours of my life wasted on television...or at least that's what it felt like. I started out thinking that anyone who could diss Twilight but call this the greatest show ever, was probably the people mixing the Kool-Aid for the cult members. But, then something happened. I don't know when or how, but I found myself moving the True Blood disc up in my Netflix queue and I was thrilled to see one waiting for me when I got home.

How did this phenom happen? This is 8 reasons I think I became addicted to True Blood.

1. This show made history. It created an entire cast of characters, none of which are likable. They are super over the top. Strange to look at, and their accents tend to grate on my nerves (this coming from a southerner). Yet, the culmination of these traits were intriguing because they are somehow outside the realm of every other sitcom, doc/law hour and reality show out there.

Eric and his fangtastic posse aren't against sharing meals.
2. Sitcoms are great. I love them, but they leave little to be desired. Thers' usually nothing keeping you hanging on. True Blood leaves you hanging off a cliff. You can't wait to find out what's going to happen next.

3. Vampires are the business right now, whether you like it or not. Mystery, fangs, bad eating habits. It's all so exciting.

4. Sookie is probably the worst name ever spoken in the English language, yet every time Vampire Bill says it, I want to fall into stitches.

Vampire Bill is so old school. He probably thinks he is "courting" Sookie.
5, I'm not a huge fan of campy stuff but when taken in small doses, you can appreciate the effort put into things that are so hokie that you are sure a team of uncles and a 7 year-old got together and made it up.

6. Who doesn't miss a good old fashion love triangle. The Joey, Dawson and Pacey's of the world are long gone and now dressing their children in high heels. Bon Temps has more love triangles than a John Hughes movie, so you can't help but to get caught up in the juicy love affairs of swamp folk.

Love triangles and quadrangles are fun...for TV, not real life.
7. I love supernatural stuff (not ghost, cause they are mega creepy). Following the tales of things like shifters, vamps, and werewolves is exciting. True Blood is overstocked in the supercrazy, superstrange and superhairy.

8. One of the fun things about True Blood is that it gives you something interesting to talk about at work the next day. I would be bored with an American Idol, Two and a Half Men, or football recap but True Blood is crazy enough to have multiple points to hit on while chatting with your register or cube buddy.

Tara and Sookie get their chat on while they should be working.

If you can get past the occasional sex (duh, it's HBO. I haven't watched The Big C yet but I'm sure Laura Linney is all sorts of naked in it) and the ultra campy first 4 episodes, there is a big chance that you will get attached to this show. Whether you want to or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment